Apply for a building permit
You can apply for a building permit from Moreland City Council if your building project is within the City of Moreland.
You may also apply for a building permit from a private registered building surveyor.
How to apply for a building permit through Council
Moreland City Council Building Services issues building permits and offers a competitive building permit and inspection service for building projects within the City of Moreland.
The main reason to use Council Building Services is that you get expert advice before you apply for a building permit, which may speed up the building permit application process.
Council Building Services provides:
- Reliable and accurate advice, thorough knowledge of local laws and regulations, awareness of local building issues, and advice on regulations and illegal work
- Professional staff - registered experienced building practitioners who are available to liaise and advise, and
- Competitive fees with over-the-phone quotes.
Apply in person or by mail
- Complete the Building Permit Application form (DOC 85Kb).
- Check the 'Information to Accompany an Application for Building Permit' on the application form to find out what extra information to include with your application.
- Submit your application form, extra information and the permit fee in person at the Moreland Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg or by mail to Moreland Building Services, Locked Bag 10, Moreland 3058.
You can also pay the building permit fee online with a Visa or MasterCard. You need a copy of the invoice issued by Council after you submit your building permit application.
How to apply for a variation or extension of time
If your building permit was issued by Council Building Services, you can apply to vary the permit or apply to Council for an extension of time to complete the works.
- Complete the Building Permit Variation Application form (DOC 40Kb) or Extension of Time Application form (DOC 74Kb)
- Submit your application and the application fee in person at Moreland Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg or by mail to Moreland Building Services, Locked Bag 10, Moreland 3058.
If your building permit was issued by Council Building Services, you can apply for an occupancy permit from Council.
- Complete the Occupancy Permit Application form
- Submit your application in person at Moreland Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg or by mail to Moreland Building Services, Locked Bag 10, Moreland 3058.
Registered Building Surveyor notifications and permits
Registered Building Surveyors can lodge online to Council:
- section 80 building notification
- section 30 building permit and plans, including staged building permits, and
- Certificate of Final Inspection and/or Occupancy Permit.
Visit Registered Builiding Surveyors for further instructions.