Asset protection permits

When you need an Asset Protection permit

  • Bulding works over $5000 on your property
  • Minor works, such as fencing, landscaping or paving over $2000, or
  • When a building permit is issued.

You require this permit before your building works begin.

This permit is to protect our assets, such as footpaths, roads and trees, and to ensure construction is safe.

An Asset Protection permit is valid for 12 months from the date it is issued.

Who is responsible?

The responsibility for protecting Council assets rests with the owner of the property, who is liable for the cost of replacing or repairing any assets which are damaged by the owner, their builder or contractor.

The owner and/or builder needs to inform Council of any pre-existing damage before building works begin. Any new damage that is found during the building works will be charged to the owner of the property.

If you do not obtain an Asset Protection permit

Without a valid permit, a building site is in breach of the local law and an infringement notice will be issued to the owner for failing to comply with Moreland City Council General Local Law 2018 (DOC 622Kb).

In this case, Council will assume that all public assets were in a satisfactory condition before building works started and that any damage was caused by building works associated with the property.


An Asset Protection permit application incurs a fee. These fees are reviewed yearly.

Fees for 2019-20

Code Type of building works being undertaken Permit fee


Reblocking or underpinning



Building works valued between $5000 and $20,000



Demolition (does not include any building works)



Building works over $20,000 other than those types listed below



Single dwelling construction



Unit development – up to 4 units



Unit development – more than 4 units and up to 8 units



Unit development - more than 8 units



Multi-storey development more than 2 storeys and up to 5 storeys



Multi-storey development more than 5 storeys


How to apply for an Asset Protection permit

What you need

Photographs of any pre-existing damage. This is your protection against paying for existing damage.

How to apply

When your building permit is lodged with Council by a private building surveyor or is issued by Council, Council sends you an Asset Protection permit application form and invoice for the permit fee.

An Asset Protection permit invoice is generated and sent at the same time as the application form in order to speed up the time it takes to issue a permit.

You can also contact the Council Operations Centre on email Council Operations Centre or phone 9240 1111 (select option 9) to request an Asset Protection permit application form.

Send your completed and signed application form with photographs of any pre-existing damage to Council:

Pay the permit fee online by Visa or MasterCard or in person at a Council Customer Service Centre.

What happens after you apply

Once your application has been received, the application will then be processed and a permit is issued.

Building works can begin once you have a building permit and an Asset Protection permit.

An Asset Protection permit is valid for one year from date of issue. If your building works take longer than this you will be required to renew the permit.

When you have completed your works, contact Council to arrange a final inspection of Council assets at your property.

If damage has occurred to Council assets and it is deemed the damage is associated with your building activity, the extent of damage is detailed and you are notified in writing.

Council will ask that you either arrange for the repairs independently or agree to Council contractors carrying out the repairs. If you choose Council contractors to do the work, an invoice will be sent for the repair costs. This needs to be paid before Council issues a Letter of Clearance or starts repair works.

Asset protection fines

Council can issue an asset protection fine:

  • for a breach of an asset protection permit requirement or
  • where an asset protection permit was required but not obtained.

If you are issued with an asset protection fine, you may pay the asset protection fine or request a review of the asset protection fine.