Information last updated Wednesday 28 July 2021.
The Covid-19 vaccine is now available to certain people in Australia. This vaccine helps keep you and your community safe from Covid-19.
The Covid-19 vaccination program is being rolled out by the Commonwealth and State Governments.
There are 2 vaccines that have been approved for use in Australia. These are:
- AstraZeneca - currently available for people over 60 years of age, or people who have a doctor's referral. If you are aged 18-59 years of age you can choose to receive the AstraZeneca vaccine following an appropriate assessment of suitability by a qualified health professional and if you provide verbal or written consent.
- Pfizer (COMIRNATY) - currently available for people between 40-59 years of age, or people who have a doctor's referral
Both vaccines protect people from becoming ill from Covid-19. They are both particularly effective at preventing severe illness, hospitalisation and death. Vaccination helps protect individuals and communities by reducing the spread of Covid-19.
Where to learn more
You can learn more at the below links:
- Learn more about the Covid-19 vaccines here.
- Find information on the Covid-19 vaccines in Easy Read formats here.
- Find information on the Covid-19 vaccines in Auslan here.
- Find information on the Covid-19 vaccines in languages other than English here.
- Find out if you are eligible for a Covid-19 vaccine by visiting the Vaccine Eligibility Checker.
- Check where you can get vaccinated in Victoria here.
Resources in Other Languages
- Benefits of Vaccination Flyer - English (PDF 300KB)
- Benefits of Vaccination Flyer - Arabic (PDF 356KB)
- Benefits of Vaccination Flyer - Chinese (simplified) (PDF 404KB)
- Benefits of Vaccination Flyer - Greek (PDF 372KB)
- Benefits of Vaccination Flyer - Italian (PDF 307KB)
- Benefits of Vaccination Flyer - Turkish (PDF 305KB)
Frequently Asked Questions
It is recommended all people over the age of 16 have the Covid-19 vaccine once they are eligible.
If you are aged 40 years or more you are eligible for vaccination.
If you are aged 16-39 years, you may be eligible for vaccination, depending on your work and health circumstances. You can see a full list of eligible people here.
You can check your eligibility for a Covid-19 vaccine here.
The Covid-19 vaccine is free for everyone in Australia.
Vaccination providers cannot charge you for the Covid-19 vaccine or for your appointment to receive the vaccine.
Covid-19 vaccines are free for everyone in Australia, even if you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident. This includes:
- people without a Medicare card,
- overseas visitors,
- international students,
- migrant workers, and
- asylum seekers.
Speak with your health care professional to learn more.
Or visit www.health.gov.au
You can see a list of vaccination centres in Victoria here.
Vaccination for Covid-19 is voluntary - as are all vaccinations in Australia. People can choose if they want the vaccine or not.
There may be circumstances in the future, however, where there may be border entry or re-entry requirements that are conditional on proof of vaccination.
Learn more here.