Skip to content

Claims reporting

If you would like to report an injury sustained on Council property or damage to your property, you can follow this process to make a report.

For all other requests or enquiries, report the issue through our website or use our Council Service Finder to find more information.

Claims reporting process

1. Report an incident

Report an incident or contact us on 9240 1111 if the issue which caused the injury or property damage is dangerous or requires repair.

2. Complete the Request for Compensation form

The Request for Compensation claim form should only be used if you intend to make a claim against Council.

Request for Compensation claim form

3. Submit documents and photographs

Include all supporting documents and photographs to be considered with your claim. It is up to you to provide evidence which proves your allegation.

Documents may include: photos, repair quotes, invoices, receipts, medical or engineers’ reports, depending on the incident in quesiton.

If you believe a Council tree has caused damage to your drain, you will need to supply:

  • a plumber's report outlining the exact location and extent of the damage
  • ownership details for the damaged pipe
  • the position of the Council tree and other vegetation in relation to the area of blockage
  • condition and type of pipe (earthenware or pvc)
  • evidence that shows Council's tree has contributed to the blockage
  • photographic evidence to support the allegation

4. Return the form

Return the Request for Compensation claim form to or post to:

Risk, Resilience & Insurance Officer
Moreland City Council
Locked Bag 10
Moreland 3058

Alternatively, you can return the completed form to a Customer Service Centre

5. Claim assessment 

Once submitted, your Request for Compensation form will be forwarded to Council's claims management provider, Echelon Claims Services, who will investigate and assess the claim.

Please note

The process can take 6 to 8 weeks depending on the nature and complexity of the claim, or if there are delays in obtaining information or other factors beyond our control. Echelon Claims Services will contact you directly with the outcome of the claim.

Waste truck property damage claims

Any waste collection related claims, such as damage to property caused by a waste collection truck, that occur south of Bell Street are managed by Citywide. Please contact us in these instances.

When it is unlikely that Council will pay compensation

Please note it is unlikely Council will pay compensation in the following circumstances:

  • You are not able to establish the cause of the damage.
  • The damage was caused by or resulting from a weather event.
  • When Council has complied with its Road Management Plan which sets out the standards by which it maintains its roads and footpaths.
  • Incidents on roads and footpaths which are not on Council’s Road Register, e.g. arterial roads and private access roads.
  • Motor vehicle damage below $1,460 (the minimum threshold amount set down by section 110 of the Road Management Act 2004).
  • Property damage caused by tree roots when Council was not previously aware of the problem.
  • Damage caused by a contractor acting on behalf of Council, e.g. roadworks, parks maintenance. Such claims will be referred to the relevant contractor to respond directly.
  • Incidents relating to the condition of pit lids or other infrastructure belonging to utility companies, e.g. Telstra, Optus, NBN, water, power and gas companies. Refer to the relevant utility company website for information on how to make a claim.
  • The asset and damage is the responsibility of the property owner. For example, see stormwater drains on private property.