Skip to content

Pet ownership

Once you register your pet, you need to make sure they are always looked after. You need to feed them and keep them safe and healthy. Depending on what sort of pet you have, this might involve walking them, keeping them inside on hot days, giving them enough room, keeping them inside at night, or training them.

Does your animal need to be registered?

All cats and dogs over the age of 3 months in Moreland must be registered with us. This is required under the Domestic Animals Act 1994. If your dog or cat is over 3 months old and not registered, you may get a fine. See our Pet Registration page for more information on how to register your animal. 

Do you have multiple pets?

There is a limit to how many animals can be kept without a permit within Moreland. We want to make sure all pets have enough space and are cared for. It is important to familiarise yourself with how many animals you can keep.

Walking your dog

You need to take your dog for a walk so that they stay happy and healthy. When you walk your dog, you must keep them on a leash or cord that you hold tightly when you are in any public place.

You must keep control of your dog and make sure they're kept on their leash or cord when they are within:

  • 1 metre of a shared pathway or footpath
  • 15 metres of any playground or children’s play equipment
  • an organised sporting or community event or festival
  • an organised public meeting, or
  • a permanent barbecue or picnic area when in use by people

Your dog is not allowed to be in a playground or in any creek or waterway.

You can take your dog's leash or cord off when in an off-leash park.

View the Council Order regarding off leash dog areas.

What is an off-leash park?

Off-leash parks are areas where dogs can exercise and play without a leash or cord.

An off-leash park will have a sign saying it is off-leash. If you go to one of these parks:

  • you must not let your dog threaten another dog or person
  • you must still carry your dog's leash or cord so that you can control your dog if they threaten any other dog or person
  • you must stay near your dog

Gilpin Park in Brunswick and Richards Reserve in Coburg North are Moreland's enclosed off-leash dog parks.

See list of all dog parks in Moreland

Picking up after your dog

You must always pick up after your dog and dispose of the waste in a rubbish bin. It is an offence if you do not. It is also an offence to not carry a dog waste bag. 

We do not give out plastic bags for the removal of dog waste in Moreland off-lead parks. There are some parks which have dispensers, however, you can not rely on these and must bring your own. 

You are responsible for carrying bags and getting rid of waste yourself.

Caring for your pets

Caring for your pet means looking after their health, making sure they are secure in your property and that they aren't distressed. Click on the headings below to find out more about how to care for your pet.

  • Fireworks can be really scary for animals. The loud noises can upset a lot of pets and they may try to escape from your home or backyard so that they can get away from the noise. On New Year's Eve and any other fireworks nights, you can:

    • keep your pets inside all night and close the windows, doors, blinds and curtains
    • turn on the TV or radio for background noise
    • stay at home with your pet and try to distract them with treats and games

    If your cats and dogs are microchipped, registered and have a collar with your phone number, they can be returned to you if they run away during fireworks.

  • On really hot days, it's important to make sure your pet is safe and not distressed by the heat. Cats and dogs cannot cool themselves down in the same way we do, so can easily overheat. To keep your pet cool during hot days, make sure they always have cool, fresh water to drink and a shady, comfortable place to rest. Find more tips for keeping your pet safe in the heat visit the Agriculture Victoria website.

  • If you have a cat, you need to keep them inside at night. This is important to remember so that your cat doesn't:

    • attack birds and other wildlife
    • get hit by a car
    • transmit diseases
    • spray, scream or bother neighbours

    You need to lock your cat inside with a bed, water and a kitty-litter. See our flyer on keeping your cat safe and inside your property for more information.

  • If you have a bird, it is important to give them a cage that has enough room for them to spread their wings and move round. The cage needs to be somewhere where it is not too hot, sunny, cold or windy. You will need to feed your bird a healthy and appropriate diet. See the Agriculture Victoria website for more information.

    If you have more than a certain number of birds, you may need an excess animal permit