1000 Books Before School
Moreland City Libraries is participating in
1000 Books Before School to promote early literacy skills.
Reading just ten minutes a day can instil a lifelong love of books and learning in young children.
Sharing stories with babies and young children helps develop literacy skills that will prepare them for reading at school.
Research shows that children who are read to every day from an early age have extended vocabularies, increased reading readiness and improved cognitive skills when they enter school.
How 1000 Books Before School works
- Register at any Moreland City Library to receive your first Reading Record and reading kit. A library membership is required to join the program.
- Mark, colour or place a sticker on your Reading Record each time you read together with your child.
- Each time you reach a milestone in your Reading Record, bring it in to any Moreland City Library for a special reward.
- Every book that your child completes, or actively listens to, counts – this includes stories read at Storytime sessions, day care, playgroup, kindergarten, as well as the same book over and over again.
- The program finishes once your child reaches 1000 books, or starts school.
Check out our FAQs (DOC 51Kb) for more information.