Do you require an event permit?
Before you start planning your event, you need to find out if you require an event permit from Council. There is a fee for an event permit.
All events requiring a permit must submit an application form at least 2 months before the event date.
Even if you don't need a permit, it is important to register your event with Council, to avoid conflicting with other events taking place at the same time.
You can also contact us to check the availability of your intended site. It is important to note that we cannot guarantee site availability as our parks and gardens are open spaces utilised by the community. See a list of key parks used for larger events in Moreland.
Complete the self-assessment for your event
Completing the following self-assessment helps determine if you need an event permit from Council.
A permit will be required if your event has or requires:
- 100 people or more
- the purchase of a ticket
- on-site vehicle access
- on-site infrastructure, e.g., marquees (weighted), temporary stages
- amusement rides or animal farms
- access to on-site power
- access to on-site water
- playing of amplified music or sound
- priority access to an area of a park or reserve, or
- closure of a street or road adjacent to the park or reserve
Not permitted is the setting up of marquees or other infrastructure that require the use of ground stakes.
If you answered 'yes' to any of the above:
- You need to complete the Community Event Permit Application Form (DOC 10Mb). For ticketed events, please complete the Ticketed Event Permit Application Form (DOC 10Mb). (DOC 5Mb) All events requiring a permit must submit an application form at least 2 months before the event date.
- Submit the application form online (attention Arts and Culture Unit) or post to Arts and Culture Unit, Moreland City Council, Locked Bag 10, Moreland 3058.
- Council will issue an event permit once all permit requirements have been met by the event organiser. Refer to the Council events guide.
Events may not require a permit if:
- there are 100 people or less
- the event involves setting up tables and chairs only, bringing a picnic or using the barbecues and facilities already in the park
- no marquees, gazebos or other infrastructure
- no vehicle access to the site
If you answered 'yes' to all of the above:
- You do not require an event permit, however we ask you to register your event with us to avoid conflicting with other events.
- Complete the Event permits - Non-permit Event Registration form (DOC 43Kb)
- Submit the registration form (attention Arts and Culture Unit) or post to Arts and Culture Unit, Moreland City Council, Locked Bag 10, Moreland 3058.
If you are unsure
Please contact the Festivals Officer on 9240 1111 and we will let you know what permits you may need and the conditions that apply.