Where to get help and support

If you are experiencing hardship or doing it tough as a result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, these services may be able to help with food packages or vouchers, financial assistance, your safety, and legal advice.

Food relief services

For an updated list of Food and Material relief services, please visit the Food relief page 

Government payments and support 

Link to available Federal and State Government payments and support during COVID-19.

Rent relief and housing support

New temporary laws exist to protect Victorian tenants, landlords and the rental market from the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. New rules cover a moratorium on evictions, rent relief for eligible tenants, suspension of rental increases, land tax reductions and deferrals for landlords, and a new dispute resolution process. Find out more information for tenants and landlords.

If you are experiencing rental hardship due to COVID-19, you may be eligible for assistance from the Victorian Government Rent Relief grants.

If you need accommodation or support contact Vincentcare on 1800 825 955 or visit VincentCare services page for a full list of available services.

Seek information and basic advice by email from Tenants Victoria.

See Council's Emergency housing page for more information.

Family violence

Family violence includes any actions where a family member threatens, intimidates, controls, stalks or harms another person within a family relationship or household.

See Council’s What is family violence website for more information.

Times of stress, hardship and uncertainty, such as during the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, are never an excuse. 

Triple Zero (000) – ifsomeone has been, or is about to be, injured, property is damaged, or other criminal acts happen that need a response immediately.

Services for women and their children:


Berry Street Family Violence Support

Call 9450 4700 (business hours)

Safe Steps Response Centre

Call 1800 015 188 (24/7)

Djirra (Koori Women's Place - support and legal advice for women)

Call 1800 105 303 (business hours)Other family violence support services for women, men and children

See Council’s family violence help website  

Legal assistance

Northern Community Legal Centre

Call 9310 4376 (business hours)

Free and confidential legal advice and assistance to people who live, work, or study in Moreland, Hume or Mitchell Shire municipalities.

​Current priority groups assisted include Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders; those experiencing mental ill health, disability, or cognitive impairment; homeless people; LGBTIQ+ community; refugees and newly arrived; victims / survivors of family violence and young people under 25.

Victorian Legal Aid

  • Call 1300 792 387 (Melbourne Office business hours)

  • Broadmeadows Office 9302 8777

Justice Connect

Helps people and community groups connect with free legal help. Regular services continue and services have been expanded for those affected by the COVID-19 crisis.

Services can be accessed online and via phone. 

Details are on the website

Refugee and Asylum Seeker support

Asylum Seeker Welcome Centre

  • Call 9326 8343

Cabirini Asylum Seeker and Refugee Health Hub

  • Call 8388 7874

Disability support and information 

Access to Council services and information page 

NDIS Contact Centre

International student support

Study Melbourne

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health support

Victorian Aboriginal Health Service (VAHS) 

  • Preston - call 9403 3300
  • Fitzroy - 9419 3000

Family Support


  • Call 1300 786 433 (toll free) or  9302 6100
  • Website

Child Protection

  • Call 1300 664 977 (North Division intake)

After hours child protection emergency service

  • Call 131 278

Support for young people


Butterfly Foundation

QLife (online counselling for LGBTQIA+ youth)

Eheadspace (Online and telephone support and counselling for 12–25 year olds)

  • Call 1800 650 893

Mental health and wellbeing

Lifeline provides crisis support and can be phoned anytime on 13 11 14

Beyond Blue

Lifeline (24 hours/7 days)

  • Call 13 11 14
  • Text: 0477 13 11 14
  • Website

Beyond Blue


Kids Helpline

Friends Online

Gambler's Help remote support services 

With gambling venues closed, some Victorians may be feeling anxious, stressed or bored. Some people may turn to other forms of gambling to cope. Gambler's Help support services remain available for anyone who might be affected by gambling issues.

Gambler's Help is available on 1800 858 858, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Online support is also available: https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/