Many Moreland residents are experiencing problems with housing affordability and this is an issue across all tenure groups.
What is affordable housing?
Affordable housing is housing, including social housing that is appropriate for the housing needs of very low, low, and moderate income households.
Affordable Housing Strategy
Moreland Affordable Housing Strategy 2014 - 2018 aims to maximise the supply of affordable housing in Moreland.
- Moreland Affordable Housing Strategy 2014-18 (PDF 1Mb)
- Moreland Affordable Housing Strategy 2014-18 (DOC 4Mb).
The strategy is currently under review (estimated completion March 2019).
A Home in Moreland
A Home in Moreland provides research about unmet housing need and housing affordability in Moreland. This evidence base is used to inform Council's housing strategies and advocacy.
- A Home in Moreland on-a-page (PDF 4Mb)
- A Home in Moreland eBook (PDF 24Mb)
- A Home in Moreland full report (PDF 3Mb)
Moreland Affordable Housing Ltd
Council is establishing Moreland Affordable Housing Ltd (MAH).
Moreland Affordable Housing Ltd is a charitable entity created by Moreland City Council to support its commitment to increase the provision of affordable housing in the municipality. Its core purpose is 'to provide relief to persons who are homeless or whose life circumstances render them vulnerable to loss of affordable and secure housing, by providing either directly or through partnership with other organisations, a range of affordable accommodation options in the City of Moreland'.
Moreland Affordable Housing Ltd will have the ability to participate in innovative development and financing models, with scope to include multiple agencies as well as State and other local governments in affordable housing development proposals.
The Constitution of Moreland Affordable Housing Ltd was approved by Council in November 2017. In May 2018 the Minister for Local Government approved the formation of the company under s193 of the Local Government Act 1989. In addition to an independent Chair, it will have six directors, three appointed by Council and three independents. After a merit-based recruitment process, Council is expected to approve the inaugural board in late 2018.
- Moreland Affordable Housing Ltd Consitution (PDF 519Kb)
- Moreland Affordable Housing Ltd Consitution (DOC 214Kb)
- Homes we want more of November 2015 (PDF 880Kb)
- Homes we want more of November 2015 (DOC 656Kb)
- Moreland Affordable Housing Background Paper November 2015 (PDF 714Kb)
- Moreland Affordable Housing Background Paper November 2015 (DOC 688Kb)