Survey now open to community
Our community are being invited to share ideas on a new community health precinct to be located in Coburg.
In December 2021, following extensive community consultation and high levels of community support, Council decided to sell land on Bell Street for the purposes of delivering a health and community services precinct.
Coburg Health Hub is the company that will be delivering this project, and is seeking community input into their masterplan.
You can read the 8 December Council Report (PDF) to find out more about this decision.
72% of submissions from the community indicated support for the proposal.
Throughout the process, Council has negotiated with Coburg Health Hub to ensure that:
- over 50% of services in the new health precinct will be delivered by community providers and not for profits, such as Merri Health
- the heritage listed bluestone cottage on the site is retained by Council, and upgraded in consultation with Coburg Historical Society
- the community is given extra opportunities to see and influence plans for the health precinct
This is an opportunity for our community to inform the design, prior to Coburg Health Hub lodging a formal planning application for the site.
Where to share your thoughts
It is clear at this stage of the project what the main uses on the site will be.
Coburg Health Hub is seeking ideas about other supporting health services and smaller retail uses that may be a priority for the community, and how the precinct might look and feel.
You can provide feedback directly to Coburg Health Hub by visiting their website to complete their survey or discuss the project with them at one of their project pop-up sessions.
The Bluestone Cottage and the Coburg Historical Society
Following community feedback in 2021, Council decided to retain the Bluestone Cottage in its ownership and renew the lease of the Coburg Historical Society.
The building will be respectfully restored and integrated into the precinct’s design, in line with its heritage status.
The cottage works will also include the construction of a new annex to replace the Coburg Historical Society’s existing storage facility (which is not fit for purpose), and the creation of a historic garden.
The works to the bluestone cottage complex will be carried out by Coburg Health Hub with oversight from Council and input from the Coburg Historical Society.
Following consultation, Coburg Health Hub will finalise the masterplan before submitting it to Council’s planning team.
The community will have further opportunity to provide feedback during the public notification of the planning permit application to Council. This is likely to occur in late 2022.
Key steps to implementation include:
- Up to mid 2022 - finalisation of contract documentation
- May 2022 - Coburg Health Hub Pty Ltd seeking community input on the masterplan
- Mid 2022 - Coburg Health Hub to present feedback received and the masterplan to Council for consideration. The masterplan must be consistent with contract terms.
- Late 2022 - Coburg Health Hub submits development proposal. Planning process including statutory consultation.
- Late 2022 - consideration of planning application.
- 2023 - settlement and commence construction