Sydney Road, Coburg - Streetscape improvements (Stage 2)
Page Street works are mostly complete and the site is now fully open to pedestrian access.
Currently the site is closed to vehicle traffic until completion of street lighting to ensure a safe pedestrian environment. The lighting system across site will be completed late July, along with electrical connections currently underway on the Russell Street end, and installation of traffic signage.
Council will be delivering a streetscape upgrade to Page Street as part of the Sydney Road, Coburg streetscape improvements.
The scope of these works are limited to Page Street between Sydney Road and Russell Street.
Works to be undertaken will include:
- The upgrade of existing bluestone kerb and channels on both sides.
- Removal of existing asphalt footpath pavement and upgrade to Feature stone paving.
- Upgrade of existing road to a Shared Space Zone.
- Upgrade of existing seating, bins, signage and bike hoop infrastructure.
- Installation of overhead street lighting system
- Shade trees and planted garden bed.
Sydney Road, Coburg streetscape improvements - Stage 1 was implemented in 2016-17.
Budget and timelines
- Budget: Council funding circa $360,000
- Public Tender for Construction was advertised over August 2017
Major stages of the project
Consultation - complete
Consultation was performed late 2016. This feedback was collated and used to inform the design and delivery of the Sydney Road upgrade. Once the upgrade is complete, a post survey will be sent out for feedback.
The purpose of the pre and post construction surveys is to get community feedback to measure satisfaction in relation to streetscape improvements undertaken and inform future upgrades.
Design - complete
Design considered feedback provided during the consultation period.
Tendering - complete
Public tender for construction was advertised over August 2017
Works to Page Street
If you have any queries regarding the project, contact Council on 9240 1111.