Russell Street Precinct Improvement, Coburg
Council is upgrading areas along Russell Street, Coburg. The project aims to revitalise the area and improve the pedestrian amenity, walkability and presentation of the street. This project is a key action from the Coburg Streetscape Masterplan identified for implementation in 5 - 10 years.
Construction commenced in January 2020 and is expected to be completed by October 2020. The extents of works is shown overleaf on the Concept Plan. During construction, access will be maintained to all properties in the works area. Council will make every effort to minimise disruption to the adjoining businesses and residents.
A staging plan of the works can be downloaded below. The dates are indicative, and are subject to change. Major changes will be reflected as required on this web page.
Latest Update - Wednesday 15th July
- Future updates will continue on this web page, and via email only. If you would like to receive email updates, please email Ben Kazacos via your preferred email address.
Pause in construction for approximately 6 weeks until early September 2020, to allow for City Oval utility upgrades at Page Street raised intersection and adjoining carpark
What’s happening this fortnight?
Completion of Dunnes Lane area footpath and pedestrian crossing
Installation of new bicycle hoops and service stand next to the Coburg Leisure Centre entrance
- Reopening of Russell Street intersections with Bell Street and Dunnes Lane
- Reopening of all three access points to Coburg Leisure Centre carparking
- Garden bed planting
What’s happening next?
- Pause in construction for approximately 6 weeks until early September 2020, to allow for City Oval utility upgrades at Page Street raised intersection and adjoining carpark
- Site will be made safe for public use during this period
- The remaining streetscape works are anticipated to be completed by end-October 2020 (subject to completion of City Oval utility upgrades), including:
- New pedestrian crossing at the intersection of Russell Street and Page Street
- Tree planting
- Remaining rain garden fixtures and planting
Final Design Plan
Consultation – Have your say
Feedback received from the community consultation in March 2019 informed the development of the Draft Concept Plan to address various issues including safety, amenity, connections and the presentation of the public area. The summary of the consultation findings can be downloaded here: Summary of consultation survey (PDF 172Kb).
Budget and timelines
- Budget for design: $50,000, design completion: June 2019
- Budget for construction: $1.65M, construction completion: October 2020
If you have any queries regarding the project, contact Council’s Council’s Urban Designer, Ben Kazacos on 9240 1287 or email Ben Kazacos.