Russell Street Precinct Improvement, Coburg
Council is currently undertaking the design and consultation of streetscape improvement works along Russell Street, Coburg within Coburg Activity Centre.
This project is a key action from the Coburg Streetscape Masterplan identified for implementation in 5 - 10 years.
Russell Street Precinct has been identified for improvement works in 2019-2020. The project scope includes both sides of Russell Street between Bell Street and Harding Street, as indicated in this figure (PDF 4Mb).
The purpose of this project is to improve Russell Street and its key connections to surrounding facilities and pedestrian links in the area.
Consultation Stage 2 – Draft Concept Plan
In May 2019, Council saught feedback for the Draft Concept Plan (PDF 4Mb) for the upgrade of Russell Street.
The proposed design in the Draft Concept Plan will create key opportunities such as:
- Improving accessibility to important community facilities which cater for a diverse range of age and mobility needs
- Improving pedestrian connections from Sydney Road and Russell Street to the City Oval
- Creating safer spaces around Coburg Primary School
- Traffic calming through streetscape design
- Improving the look and feel of Russell Street by means of new footpaths, raised pedestrian crossings, street furniture (seats, bins, bike racks, drinking fountain), new public toilet, and new trees.
The design of the streetscape will retain the existing 524 car parking spaces in 11-19 Russell Street as shown in this car parking diagram.
Consultation Stage 1 – Have your say
Feedback received from the community consultation in March 2019 has informed the development of the Draft Concept Plan to address various issues including safety, amenity, connections and the presentation of the public area. The summary of the consultation findings can be downloaded here: Summary of consultation survey (PDF 172Kb).
Budget and timelines
- Budget for design: $50,000, design completion: June 2019
- Budget for construction TBA (to be advised), construction completion: June 2020
If you have any queries regarding the project, contact Council’s Council’s Urban Designer, Ben Kazacos on 9240 1287 or email Ben Kazacos.