Austin Crescent Reserve, Pascoe Vale - Play upgrade
The play space at Austin Crescent Reserve on Northumberland Road in Pascoe Vale, will be upgraded this financial year as Council continues to implement the Moreland Play Strategy 2016-20 (PDF 2Mb).
A draft concept plan (PDF 5Mb) has been prepared for the proposed play space upgrade at Austin Crescent Reserve, and residents are invited to submit their feedback on the draft concept plan.
This upgrade coincides with recent consultation on the draft Westbreen Creek Conservation and Development Plan, which supports the play and picnic space upgrade at Austin Crescent Reserve, and proposes the opportunity to construct a wetland system to treat stormwater runoff within Gavin Park.
Currently unfunded, the draft Westbreen Creek Conservation and Development Plan proposes to retain picnic and barbeque facilities at Gavin Park as part of future development of a wetland, to maintain both a family orientated picnic area and a quieter environmentally focused picnic area within the open space corridor.
The play space and picnic area at Austin Crescent will be upgraded at a larger scale and with increased range of play opportunities, anticipating future removal of the existing play equipment at Gavin Park.
No works are proposed within Gavin Park until future funding is confirmed.
Current works - Austin Crescent Reserve
A draft concept plan (PDF 5Mb) has been prepared for the proposed play space upgrade at Austin Crescent Reserve.
The aim of the proposed upgrade is to create a fresh new playspace, comprising nature play elements together with contemporary play equipment, to provide fun and challenging play for a broad range of ages and abilities.
Some of the key elements of the draft concept plan are:
- Nature based play with rocks and logs for clambering, stepping and balancing, and for encouraging imaginative play
- Exciting new combination unit with various playful activities such as climbing, balancing and a slide.
- 'Flying fox' cable way
- Swings, with the addition of a basket swing
- Large group spring rocker and 'speed gyro' carousell
- 'Climbing hut' for our youngest climbers
- Extra seating and new drink fountain
- Planting of native trees
- Playful native fauna sculptures, including the Tawny Frogmouth that was recent spotted nesting near the play area.
The existing climbing net will be retained as part of the new playspace.
Other planned works include:
- New picnic table and bench seat looking onto the playground
- New fencing and low planting along Northumberland Road
- New line marking and signage to improve safety at the crossing
- New vehicle barriers and screen planting to the existing car park
- Two new accessible parking spaces and path connection to the existing barbecue and playground
- New drinking fountain and bottle refill
- New tree planting to screen adjoining properties
- A barbecue shelter is proposed as future works and is currently undfunded
It is planned that the play space upgrade at Austin Crescent Reserve will be completed during July 2019.
Have your say
Residents are invited to provide feedback on the proposed concept plans for Austin Crescent. Please submit your feedback before 5 pm Thursday 21 March 2019.
Other ways you can have your say
- Email Council's Open Space Team
- Phone our Open Space Team on 8311 4300
Contact Andrew Blight, Landscape Architect at Moreland City Council on 8311 4391 or email Council Open Space.