Better Apartments Design Standards - Victorian Government
The Victorian Government has announced changes to the planning rules for apartment developments, with a focus on the relationship between new apartment developments and the amenity of existing neighbourhoods.
These changes build on the Better Apartments Design Standards in the Victoria Planning Provisions, which were introduced by the government in 2017 to improve the internal design of new apartments and make them more liveable and sustainable.
In order to deliver on this commitment, a discussion paper has been prepared which proposes some potential changes to the Better Apartments Design Standards and the Apartment Design Guidelines for Victoria.
The discussion paper explores five policy aims for new apartment developments, including the need for:
- Green space in common areas of buildings, which preferably include trees to provide shade and landscaping that softens the street
- High quality building facades made from robust, durable and attractive materials that complement surrounding buildings and provide visual interest
- Protection from wind impacts on surrounding streets and open space, so the spaces are comfortable to use and likely to be used more often
- Attractive, engaging streets that enhance the amenity, safety and walkability of the neighbourhood.
- Better managed construction impacts on existing neighbourhoods.
Have your say
You're currently invited to make a submission about these design standards until 5pm on Friday 27 September.