Apply to extend your outdoor dining

Our Love Moreland, Dine Local initiative has helped businesses all over Moreland extend their outdoor dining so they can serve more patrons in a CovidSafe way. The first phase of this initiative has now closed. Outdoor dining options are still available to businesses but please note permit application processes may have changed and fees now apply.

Throughout March 2021 we will conduct an evalutation to determine the future of outdoor dining in Moreland. We will be engaging with business owners and the wider Moreland community and we want to hear from you. More information coming soon.

As a business, your options to extend your outdoor dining are:

How do I know which option works best for me?

Work through each option in order, starting at option 1, and assess your eligibility. The options are listed from the simplest and cheapest, through to more complex, costly and time intensive. You can use our one-page checklist as a quick assessment tool. For more detailed information before you apply, please read our Expanding outdoor dining guidelines.

What permits do I need and how much will it cost?

As part of our commitment to supporting businesses through this difficult time we are making it easier for you to expand your outdoor dining.

  • Moreland permits associated with outdoor dining will be fast-tracked.
  • The majority of Moreland permits will have no application fees, if applications are lodged before 30 January 2021.
  • Permits will be valid until 30 June 2021.
  • Eligible businesses can apply for up to $5,000 from the Victorian Government to assist with materials for outdoor dining, such as umbrellas and outdoor furniture. Find out more through Business Victoria's web page on Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package Business Grants.


  • Option 1 - Outdoor dining on the footpath outside your own or a neighbouring business

    Set up outdoor dining on the footpath in front of your business and/or a consenting neighbouring business. This is the simplest and fastest option for outdoor dining. We encourage you to explore this as an option and apply for the relevant permits as a first step.

    Permit fees for footpath trading will be waived until 30 June 2021 for all applications lodged before 30 January 2021.

    If you have a footpath trading permit for the front of your business, you can apply to extend your footpath trading area. If you do not currently have a footpath trading permit, and your property fits the criteria, you can apply now. 

    To be eligible for footpath dining the area must meet Moreland Footpath Trading Guidelines.

    How to apply for footpath trading


  • Option 2 - Parklets - converting parking bays to dining areas

    An on-street parking bay in front of your business can be converted into an outdoor dining space with our expansion of Moreland’s successful Parklet Program. We will waive permit fees, and grants are available for Long Term Parklets.

    2 options are available:

    A temporary parklet includes planter boxes and safety barriers to section off theparking area with equipment owned and installed by us, availble until 30 June 2021.

    A long-term parklet can be designed and installed by you within the guildelines and can, after review, extend beyond the pandemic response period and become a more permanent fixture. Whilst awaiting installation you may be eligible for a temporary parklet.

    We encourage 2 or more businesses to collaborate and apply for an extended parklet. If eligible we will install an extended platform along a section of street-parking that will serve as a combined dining area.

    To be eligible for a Parklet the parking bay must meet the Moreland Parklet Program guidelines (PDF 4Mb)

    The parking bay must: 

    • Be located on a Council owned straight section of road with a speed limit of 50km/h (or less).
    • Not sit within a clearway or contain service pit lids, fire hydrants or drains. 
    • Be 10 metres from an intersection and 20 metres from a signalised intersection.

    We will evaluate site specific considerations on a case by case basis.

    Visit our Parklet Program page for more information.

  • Option 3 - Temporary street closure

    If options 1 and 2 are not adequate or appropriate, one or more businesses may apply to temporarily close a side-street (off a main road) or laneway to traffic and convert to a dining area. 

    Street closures are divided into 2 categories: small scale (generally suited to 1-2 businesses) and large scale (generally suited to 2 or more businesses), dependent on the risk and complexity. 

    This solution is best suited to streets and laneways that:

    • Do not carry much traffic
    • Can accommodate access needs of impacted properties and emergency vehicles
    • Are not through roads

    Applications will be assessed by us on a case-by-case basis to determine eligibility and which scale applies.

    Visit our Parking and Roads page for more information.

  • Option 4 - Outdoor dining on private land

    You may be able to expand your outdoor dining onto previously unused private land, such as a carpark or a neighbouring property.

    To make it easier for hospitality businesses to do this, we have made some temporary exemptions to planning permits.

    To find out if you qualify for these exemptions view our planning permit exemptions factsheet. More detailed information is available in the updated Planning Scheme or you can call our Planning Team on 9240 1111.


  • Option 5 - New food truck or mobile dining areas

    Permits are available for new food truck or mobile food businesses and existing businesses can apply to trade in new locations.

    New location fees are waived until 30 June 2021 for businesses registered to addresses in Moreland. 

    Visit the Roadside Trading Permit page for more information.


  • What other help can I get?

    You may be eligible for a grant of up to $5000 from the State government to help set up outdoor dining. This could include umbrellas, outdoor furniture, screens and other equipment, training, advertising and other support.

    The following links provide further information on Outdoor Dining and associated grants and support for businesses.