Amendment C159: Moreland Neighbourhood Centres Strategy
Planning Panel Report
The Panel appointed to consider the public submissions to Amendment C159 has released its report. The Panel recommends that the Amendment be adopted subject to changes outlined in the report.
Council considered a report on the Panel's recommendations on 8 February 2017 but resolved to defer the item to the Council Meeting on 8 March 2017.
An invitation to submitters to attend a meeting on 2 March 2017, was sent on 16 February 2016.
The meeting on 2 March 2017 will be held at 6.30 pm at the Moreland Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg.
A Panel Hearing for Amendment C159 the Moreland Neighbourhood Centres Strategy was held between 23 August 2016 and 6 September 2016.
See below for Council's Submission to the Panel (Part A, Part B, and Part C):
- Council Submission Part A (DOC 1014Kb)
- Council Submission Part B (DOC 782Kb)
- Council Closing Submission Part C (DOC 126Kb)
About Amendment C159
Amendment C159 implements the Draft Neighbourhood Centres Strategy (NCS) 2015 (PDF 13Mb) into the Moreland Planning Scheme.
Council’s vision for Neighbourhood Centres is to allow change towards a new character. Council needs to change its Planning Scheme to achieve this. The Neighbourhood Centres amendment is referred to as Amendment C159 to the Moreland Planning Scheme.
The proposed amendment will affect the type of buildings that can be built in Neighbourhood Centres. The proposed changes to the planning scheme include:
- Changes to Clauses 21.02 (DOC 1Mb), 21.03 (DOC 342Kb) and 21.04 (DOC 672Kb) of the Municipal Strategic Statement and Clause 22.01 (DOC 322Kb) of the Local Planning Policies to reference the NCS and update references to Neighbourhood Centres
- A new Schedule to the Design and Development Overlay (DOC 4Mb) that includes a mandatory building height of up to 4 storeys and new front, side and rear setback requirements
- Replacing Schedule 1 to the Residential Growth Zone where it applies to Neighbourhood Centres with a new Schedule 2 (DOC 53Kb) to apply a mandatory building height of up to 4 storeys and new front, side and rear setback requirements
- The rezoning (PDF 723Kb) of some sites from the Commercial 2 or Industrial 3 Zone to the Commercial 1 Zone to encourage more shops, offices and houses, and
- Applying the Environmental Audit Overlay (PDF 500Kb) to land being rezoned.
At its meeting on 8 June 2016, Council resolved to:
Note the summary of submissions received in response to the exhibition
Endorse the response to submissions outlined in the Council report to form the basis of Council's submission to a Panel
Endorse the proposed changes to the Design and Development Overlay (Schedule 24) and the Residential Growth Zone (Schedule 2) in response to submissions
After taking consideration of the submissions received propose to implement the following zone change and additional notice be sent to affected land and adjoining sites with submissions to be presented directly to the independent Panel:
In the Grantham Street Neighbourhood Centre Union Street properties (PDF 762Kb) east of O'Grady on the north side of Union Street and east of Millward Street on the south side of Union Street be rezoned from Residential Growth Zone (RGZ) to Neighbourhood Residential Zone (NRZ)
In the Grantham Street Neighbourhood Centre properties that face NRZ on the west side of Millward Street (PDF 762Kb) to be rezoned from RGZ to General Residential Zone (GRZ)
In the Melville and Albion Street Neighbourhood Centre properties on the west side of Burnell Street (PDF 888Kb) to be rezoned from GRZ to NRZ.
Request the Minister for Planning appoint an independent Panel in accordance with Part 8 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 to consider submissions to Amendment C159, and
Provide the Director of Planning and Economic Development delegated authority to make any further changes to the response to submissions, draft Neighbourhood Centres Strategy, Background Report and Amendment C159 that may be required as part of making Council's submission to the Panel.
Additional notice explaining the proposed change and process has been sent to:
All properties affected by the proposed zone changes, and
All properties immediately next to properties proposed to be rezoned.
All submissions on the proposed rezonings will be directly referred to a Panel for consideration together with all other submissions previously received on the amendment.
You can read the submissions received by Council during the original exhibition period:
- Submissions 1 - 26 (PDF 14Mb)
- Submissions 27 - 60 (PDF 14Mb)
- Submissions 61 - 75 (PDF 4Mb)
- Submissions 76 - 100 (PDF 11Mb)
- Submissions 101 - 123 (PDF 15Mb), and
- Submissions 124 - 141 (PDF 5Mb)
For further information, please phone Council’s Strategic Planning Team on 9384 9230 or email Strategic Planning.
While Moreland City Council has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information available on this website we take no responsibility for any financial loss incurred by reliance on the information contained herein noting that the strategy is a draft and is therefore subject to change.
There are documents on this page in PDF-only format. If you have trouble opening or viewing a PDF document, contact Council and we will arrange to provide the information in a format that suits your needs. See Council's accessibility page for further details.