Amendment C149: Lygon Street Heritage Review
About Amendment C149
Amendment C149 applies to land on Lygon Street, Brunswick East.
The amendment proposes to:
Apply permanent heritage protection to the following five precincts
- HO435 - 495-497 and 500-522 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
- HO436 - 398-406 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
- HO437 - 313-321 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
- HO438 - 128-140 and 129-135 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
- HO439 - 38-114 and 51-117 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
Apply permanent heritage protection to the following five individual places:
- HO441 – Former ANZ Bank, 152-154 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
- HO441 – Rosely Hosiery Mill (Former), 170-176 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
- HO442 – 150 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
Apply permanent heritage protection for the following two serial listings:
- HO443 – Moderne Apartment Blocks, 37, 299-299A, 301 and 434C Lygon Street, Brunswick East
- HO444 – Interwar Textile Factories, 103-105 Evans Street and 236, 238, 240, 260 and 297 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
A serial listing is made up of places that share a common history and/or significance but which do not adjoin each other and may be considered for treatment as a single heritage place.
Together with the associated changes to 43.01 schedule and Map 15HO:
- Delete existing HO255 Lygon Street Precinct Delete existing HO255 Lygon Street Precinct
- Remove the interim protection assigned to 260 Lygon Street and include within HO444
- Insert the Lygon Street Heritage Study, 2012 as a reference document at Clause 21.05-4 Heritage at Clause 22.04 Lygon Street Precinct
Status (August 2015)
Amendment C149 was gazetted on 20 August 2015 and the permanent heritage protection changes comes into effect from this date.
Council consideration and adoption of Amendment
Council considered Amendment C149 and all submissions to the amendment on 11 December 2013. Council resolved to request an independent Planning Panel to consider Amendment C149 and the submissions.
An independent Panel was convened on 8, 9 and 10 April 2014 to consider submissions to the amendment. The Panel report was received on 13 May 2014. The report recommends that the amendment be adopted as exhibited subject to the recommendations set out in the report. View Panel Report (PDF 1Mb).
Council considered the Panel report at its meeting on 9 July 2014 and resolved to:
- Note the recommendations of Amendment C149 Panel Report dated 13 May 2014 (Attachment 1).
- Adopt Amendment C149 pursuant to Section 29(1) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 with changes outlined in Attachment 2.
- Submit Amendment C149 to the Minister for Planning for approval pursuant to section 31(1) of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Notify all submitters of this resolution and also write to all submitters advising of the Minister’s decision on Amendment C149 once received by Council.
- That Council investigate and undertake all available options to prevent the demolition of the existing property at 299 and 299A Lygon Street.
- That all future applications received by Council on properties which are under consideration for heritage status shall automatically trigger appearances at the Urban Planning Committee
- That all references throughout the document to 434 Lygon Street be referred to 444 and 444A Lygon Street.
- The Council Report and associated attachments can be on the Council meetings and past agendas page.
- The Amendment documentation was submitted by Council to the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure on 25 July 2014.
Amendment C149 was submitted to the Minister for Planning for approval on 25 July 2014.
Exhibition ran from 15 August to 27 September 2013
Download amendment documents
All documents relating to Amendment C149 are available for download.
- C149 Explanatory Report (DOC 64Kb)
- C149 Notice of Preparation of an Amendment (PDF 631Kb)
- C149 Amendment Instruction Sheet (DOC 40Kb)
- C149 Proposed Schedule to 43.01s (DOC 1Mb)
- C149 Proposed Clause 22.04 – Lygon Street Precinct (DOC 530Kb)
- C149 Proposed Clause 21.05-4 – Heritage (DOC 4Mb)
- C149 Lygon Street Heritage Study Stage 2 (PDF 2Mb)
C149 Proposed Maps
- Moreland C149 001hoMAP15 (PDF 740Kb)
- Moreland C149 002hoMAP15 (PDF 740Kb)
- Moreland C149 003hoMAP15 (PDF 728Kb)
- Moreland C149 004hoMAP15 (PDF 204Kb)
- Moreland C149 005hoMAP15 (PDF 198Kb)
- Moreland C149 006hoMAP16 (PDF 199Kb)
- Precinct A (PDF 4Mb)
- Precinct B (PDF 1Mb)
- Precinct C (PDF 562Kb)
- Precinct D (PDF 2Mb)
- Precinct E (PDF 2Mb)
- Moderne Apartments (PDF 240Kb)
- Interwar Factories (PDF 854Kb)
- Individual Properties (PDF 1Mb)
Amendment documentation and information can also be viewed online at Department of Environment. Land, Water and Planning.
For further information relating to the amendment process and exhibition, contact Council's Strategic Planning Unit on 9240 1111 or email Strategic Planning.
There are documents on this page in PDF-only format. If you have trouble opening or viewing a PDF document, contact Council and we will arrange to provide the information in a format that suits your needs. See Council's accessibility page for further details.