Amendment C159: Moreland Neighbourhood Centres Strategy
About Amendment C159
Amendment C159 implements the Neighbourhood Centres Strategy 2017 (PDF 4Mb) into the Moreland Planning Scheme.
Neighbourhood Centres are clusters of shops, businesses and community facilities which, together with the availability of public transport, provide for the daily and weekly shopping and service needs of the local community. They are locations where housing growth and built form intensification is encouraged.
The preferred built form scale of four storeys in Neighbourhood Centres has been long established in the MSS and Neighbourhood Character Local Policy. This scale of change continues to be considered the right scale in order to create an urban character and accommodate housing growth commensurate with the role of Neighbourhood Centres in the overall activity centre hierarchy. The focus of the Strategy is not on setting a new building heights for Neighbourhood Centres, but on improving the design quality and amenity of development in Neighbourhood Centres.
Council Consideration of Panel Report and Adoption
On 8 March 2017 Council considered the recommendations of the Panel and resolved to adopt the amendment with changes.
The following amendment documents were submitted to the Minister for Planning for approval on 20 April 2017:
- Changes to the MSS and local policy Clauses 21.02 (PDF 1Mb), 21.03 (PDF 222Kb) and 21.04 (PDF 93Kb) Clause 22.01 (PDF 165Kb)
- Design and Development Overlay (PDF 3Mb) that includes a mandatory building height of up to 4 storeys and new front, side and rear setback requirements (applies to sites outside the RGZ)
- Residential Growth Zone (PDF 231Kb) that includes a mandatory building height of up to 4 storeys and new front, side and rear setback requirements (applies to sites within the RGZ)
- Maps Zoning (PDF 4Mb), Design and Development Overlay (PDF 3Mb), Environmental Audit Overlay (PDF 505Kb)
Decision by Minister for Planning
All submitters will be advised once the Minister for Planning has made the final decision on the amendment.
A Panel Hearing for Amendment C159 was held between 23 August 2016 and 6 September 2016.
You can read Council's Submission to the Panel:
- Council Submission Part A (DOC 1014Kb)
- Council Submission Part B (DOC 782Kb)
- Council Closing Submission Part C (DOC 126Kb)
You can read the Panel Report:
You can read the submissions received by Council during the exhibition period:
- Submissions 1 - 26 (PDF 14Mb)
- Submissions 27 - 60 (PDF 14Mb)
- Submissions 61 - 75 (PDF 4Mb)
- Submissions 76 - 100 (PDF 11Mb)
- Submissions 101 - 123 (PDF 15Mb)
- Submissions 124 - 141 (PDF 5Mb)
For further information, please phone Council’s Strategic Planning Team on 9384 9230 or email Strategic Planning.
While Moreland City Council has made every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information available on this website we take no responsibility for any financial loss incurred by reliance on the information contained herein noting that the strategy is a draft and is therefore subject to change.
There are documents on this page in PDF-only format. If you have trouble opening or viewing a PDF document, contact Council and we will arrange to provide the information in a format that suits your needs. See Council's accessibility page for further details.