8. Amend a planning permit

When you can apply to amend a planning permit

There are some circumstances where you may need to change your planning permit. You can apply to Council to:

  • amend the conditions of a planning permit
  • amend the use or development for which the planning permit was issued, or
  • amend approved plans.

You can only amend a valid planning permit. To find out if your planning permit is valid, check the expiry date located in the last condition on your planning permit. To amend the expiry date of your planning permit, see extend the time on a planning permit.

Some planning permits that are issued as the result of an appeal to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) contain conditions that restrict Council from making amendments. It is important that you read the planning permit conditions carefully. In these cases, the application to amend a permit needs to be made to VCAT.

There are a number of factors that are taken into account when considering an amendment to a planning permit. We suggest that you contact Council to arrange a pre-application meeting with a Council planning officer to discuss your proposed changes.

Significance of the change

Minor changes to approved plans

If you want to make minor changes to the plans that were approved as part of your planning permit application, you can apply under ‘secondary consent’.

You cannot apply under 'secondary consent' for changes to permit conditions or what the permit allows.

All other changes

All other applications to change an approved planning permit, are lodged through an application to amend a planning permit.

How to apply

What you need

For an application to amend a planning permit, including under 'secondary consent' you need:

  • Current copy of the Certificate of Title for your property (less than 3 months old). You can get a current copy of the Certificate of Title for your property by searching the title register at the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure.
  • Original permit number.
  • Information about whether the development has commenced.
  • A clear explanation of the changes that you want to make to your planning permit.
  • Copies of plans.
  • If you are the applicant of the original planning permit, but not the property owner, you must have agreement from the property owner to amend the planning permit.

See submit a planning permit application for checklists on what you need to include with your application.

If you need advice about what information is required you can contact Council or visit Moreland Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg to speak to a Council planning officer.

Apply online

  • You need to register first as a user with Council Online Services before you can submit a planning permit application online. If you have booked a pre-application meeting with Council online, you will already be registered.
  • Once you are a registered user, sign in and apply to amend a planning permit. If your application is a minor change to plans, you can sign in and apply for secondary consent.
  • As part of the online application process, you upload digital files and pay the planning fee online with Visa or MasterCard.

When Council receives your application, you receive an automated email confirmation that your application has been received.

Apply by mail or in person

You can download the Application to Amend a Planning Permit form (PDF 248Kb).

If your application is a minor change to plans only, you can download the Secondary Consent application form (DOC 74Kb).

Submit the completed form with all the required documentation and applicable planning fees.

You can submit your application by post to Locked Bag 10, Moreland 3058 or in person to Moreland Civic Centre

Council Planning team operates digitally and does not work with hard copy documents. When Council receives a hard copy planning application, Council must first scan all documents and plans. The application is then allocated an application number and given to a Council planning officer. 

If an email address is provided, you will receive notification of the application number and officer's contact details by email. Otherwise, notification is sent by post.

What happens after you apply

When Council receives your application to amend a planning permit, it will be allocated an application number and you will receive confirmation that your application has been received. A Council planning officer will then start the assessment process.

When your application has been assessed, the Council planning officer may request further information and advertise the application.

For applications under secondary consent, Council will send you a letter informing you if your application has been successful. 

If you apply online or provide an email address, this letter is delivered by email. 

Related brochures and guidelines