Fast track - simple applications
Fast track planning applications
Straight forward proposals may qualify as ‘Fast Track’ planning permit applications. Fast Track applications are generally processed within 10 days and are not required to be advertised to neighbours .
There are two different types of Fast Track planning permit applications:
- State Government ‘Vic Smart’ applications, and
- Moreland City Council local Fast Track applications.
Your application may fall into one of the above fast track streams. They are explained below.
In addition, Council has a commercial priority fast track application process for new or existing businesses.
The 12 classes below are VicSmart proposals. Each class has specified requirements for information, assessment processes and decision guidelines.
If your VicSmart application does not contain all the required information, Council will have to request this information. This is likely to mean a decision will take longer than 10 days.
- Checklist 1: Realign a boundary between two lots
- Checklist 2: Subdivide land into lots each containing an existing building or car parking space
- Checklist 3: Subdivide land with an approved development into two lots
- Checklist 4: Construct a front fence in a residential zone
- Checklist 5: Construct a building or works in a commercial or industrial zone, Capital City Zone, Docklands Zone or Mixed Use Zone
- Checklist 6: Construct a fence in an overlay
- Checklist 7: Remove, destroy or lop one tree
- Checklist 8: Minor subdivision, minor buildings and works, painting or tree lopping in a Heritage Overlay
- Checklist 9: Minor subdivision or buildings and works within a Special Building Overlay
- Checklist 10: Display a sign in a commercial or industrial zone, Capital City Zone or Docklands Zone
- Checklist 11: Reduce a car parking requirement
- Checklist 12: Reduce or waive loading/unloading requirements
Moreland Fast Track applications
There are some types of minor proposals that do not fit in the VicSmart classes above. For this reason, Council has developed its own local Fast Track process.
A proposal will qualify for Moreland City Council’s 10 day Fast Track process if it:
- Is not a VicSmart application (see above)
- Contains all the required information at lodgement
- Does not require referral to an external or internal department
- Does not require advertising to neighbours, and
- Is a supportable proposal.
To find out if your application is eligible for VicSmart or Moreland’s Fast Track or have any questions, contact a Council Urban Planning Officer on 9240 1111.
Commercial priority business applications
Fast track - commerical priority business applications has information for new or expanding business applying for a planning permit.
- For an overview of VicSmart and the 12 classes of application, see Fast Decisions for Simple Planning Applications or Fast Decisions for Simple Planning Applications.
- You can download comprehensive materials to assist you with VicSmart from the Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure website.
- Applicant’s Guide to Lodging a VicSmart Application or Applicant's Guide to Lodging a VicSmart Application
- to Apply for a VicSmart Planning Permit Under the Special Building Overlay or How to Apply for a VicSmart Planning Permit Under the Special Building Overlay
There are documents on this page in PDF-only format. If you have trouble opening or viewing a PDF document, contact Council and we will arrange to provide the information in a format that suits your needs. See Council's accessibility page for further details.