Temporary road, lane or footpath closure permits

When you need a road closure permit

If you will be occupying part of a road or footpath as part of building works or an event, you need a road closure permit from Council.

A road closure permit is required from Council to temporarily close any part of the road reserve or car park which is managed by Council. This is required when works occupy roads or laneways, Council-managed car parks, nature strips or footpaths.

Works that are covered by a road closure permit are short term, with the closure normally dismantled every day.

Example works include crane works, concrete pours, facade works, as well as filming and community events.

If you are planning a community event, you may also require a community event permit. For more information, see the Council guide to running an event or festival.

If you are excavating within the road reserve, you require a road opening permit.

If you are building a vehicle crossing, you require a vehicle crossing permit

Determining who is responsible for a road

If you carry out works that impact any part of a road reserve, you must apply for consent from the Coordinating Road Authority.

VicRoads is the Coordinating Road Authority for all freeways and many arterial roads. Council is the Coordinating Road Authority for other streets and laneways in the municipality.

You can search the Maps of Declared Roads for any road within Victoria and determine if it is a freeway, arterial road or a municipal road (shown as local roads).

You can also contact Council to confirm if Moreland City Council or VicRoads is responsible for the road you want to do work in.

If your works impact a VicRoads managed road you may require a permit from VicRoads. Refer to the VicRoads guide to Working in the Road Reserve for more information.


A temporary road, lane or footpath closure permit application incurs a fee. These fees are reviewed yearly.

A permit costs:

  • $184.80 including GST if the application is lodged more than 4 days before works commence, or
  • $554.40 including GST if less than 4 working days notice is provided.

Occupying parking bays in an off-street car park attracts an additional charge. This fee is:

  • $7 per bay per day if they are required for one week or less, and
  • $35 per bay per week if bays are required for longer.

Payment is not required at the time you submit your application. Once an application is approved by Council, an invoice is sent to you with payment options.

Apply for a temporary road closure permit

What you need

  • A Traffic Management Plan
  • A copy of your public liability insurance to the value of at least $10 million
  • A copy of the letter to the affected residents advising them of the arrangements for the closure,
  • The date(s) and times the closure will occur, and
  • Details of who to invoice for the permit (including ABN).

Apply online

  1. If you are a registered user, sign in to Online Services. As a registered user, you won't need to enter your personal information each time and can keep track of requests and applications on any device.
  2. Apply for a Road Closure Permit online. Have digital files ready to attach to the application.
  3. As part of the online application process, the fee is paid online by Visa or MasterCard.

Apply by post or in person

  1. Collate all the required documentation.
  2. Post the documents to Moreland City Council, Locked Bag 10, Moreland VIC 3058, or deliver in person to the Moreland Civic Centre, 90 Bell Street, Coburg.
  3. Once we receive the application, Council will review the application and issue you with an invoice for payment.

What happens after you apply

Once the application and payment of fees is received, Council processes the application.

A minimum of 4 working days is required to process the permit application. If less than 4 working days notice is provided, the applicant must pay the priority fee.

Council assesses all applications for temporary road closure permits based on traffic management principles, as set out in the Road Management Act 2004 Worksite Safety – Traffic Management Code of Practice and AS 1742.3 - 2002 Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. This by no means places any responsibility for the effectiveness of traffic management being implemented by any independent works managers or contractors upon Moreland City Council.

Onsite auditing of Traffic Management Plans

Moreland City Council Transport engineers conduct random traffic management audits of works being undertaken on any of Moreland’s road assets. These audits are conducted using the checklist as set out in the Road Management Act 2004 “Worksite Safety – Traffic Management” Code of Practice.