New bins and bin replacements
Council will repair or replace your bin if it has been damaged.
A bin is considered damaged and will be repaired if it is missing its wheels or lid. If the bin has a split body it will be replaced with a new bin.
Lost or stolen bin
To prevent theft or damage to your bins, you need to bring them back onto your property within 24 hours of your waste collection.
Bins in new properties
If you move into a new property which does not already have a garbage and recycling bin on site, contact Council to order bins for the property and arrange delivery.
Residents and businesses can recycle garden waste by ordering a green waste bin from Council. There is a one-off fee.
Shared bins at multi unit developments
Shared bins are provided at many multi-unit and apartment sites across Moreland for use by all residents at the development. They are agreed to as part of the Waste Management Plan (WMP) process between the developer and Council.
Shared garbage and recycling bins generally have 240 litres of capacity and are 3 times larger than the standard 80 litre garbage bin. One shared garbage bin has the capacity to service 2 to 3 dwellings.
To ensure that the shared bins are effectively by all:
- Store the bins in a central location so that they can be accessed by all those living in the development.
- Agree with the owners/tenants who will take out and bring in the bins.
- Discuss with your Owners Corporation/Body Corporate if you are finding the garbage or recycling capacity is not appropriate to meet the requirements of the residents at your development.
- To apply for additional garbage capacity, complete the Request for additional garbage capacity - shared bins (DOC 98Kb) (PDF 94Kb) and return the form to Council.
- To apply for additional recycling capacity, complete the Request for additional recycling capacity - shared bins (DOC 92Kb) (PDF 99Kb) and return the form to Council.
To reduce the amount of general waste produced by residents at your development you could:
- Order a green waste bin for your garden waste.
- Order a compost bin or worm farm for your food waste.
New look garbage bin design and lid colour
New garbage bins have a red lid
If you receive Council's waste service for the first time or have your bin replaced, you will receive a garbage bin with a red lid. Existing garbage bins in Moreland have a dark green lid.
This change is to ensure Council adheres to the Australian Standard. Over time, all garbage bins in Moreland will have a red lid.
Contact Council if you need further information.
The design of the 80 litre garbage bin has changed
The old 80 litre bin had the same sized body as a 120 litre bin with a raised floor to make the bin volume 80 litres. The new 80 litre bin does not have a raised floor but has a smaller body.
While the new bin looks smaller than the old 80 litre bin, it holds the same volume of waste.