Gambling in Moreland 2015-2020 (PDF 5Mb) is Council’s Strategy to reduce the harmful impact of gambling on Moreland residents. Addressing the inherent harms of poker machines is a key focus as these are source of greatest harm.
As a foundation partner of the national Alliance for Gambling Reform Council calls for stronger industry controls to protect consumers and reduce the damage that gambling can bring to families and communities.
The Pokies Play You campaign aims to improve community understanding about the damage pokies can do and harness grass-roots action for reforms to the design and operation of these addictive machines. Your support is vital; join us.
Support Council’s campaign for pokies reform
- Put a campaign sticker on your wheelie bin
- Display our Play Music not Pokies fridge magnets
- Put up a free poster in your workplace or club
- Circulate information flyers and postcards among your network (in print and online)
- Host a screening of the powerful documentary, Ka-Ching: Pokie Nation (we can help)
- Invite a speaker to a discussion with your local club.
- Request a residents action kit.
Contact the Social Policy Unit on 9240 1111 and we’ll send you copies of free campaign material.
“In Moreland we’ve seen too much damage done to families and communities from the pokies industry. These machines are designed to create addiction, and sadly, are very effective. It’s time for new rules on how these machines are engineered so we can better protect people. Please join with Council to support our campaign for pokies reform”.
Mayor Helen Davidson
Help is available
Help telephone lines
If gambling is a problem for you or someone you know, call:
- Gambler's Help on 1800 858 858, or
- Gambler's Help Youthline on 1800 262 376