Dawson Street streetscape improvement
Council is currently undertaking streetscape upgrade works on Dawson Street, Brunswick, between Sydney Road and the Upfield Rail Line.
This section of Dawson Street has been identified as a pedestrian priority street in the Brunswick Structure Plan 2010, and the design includes:
- Improved pedestrian connections to significant buildings with Sydney Road
- Improvements to entrances of major public buildings such as Brunswick Library and Brunswick Baths
- Improved cycling infrastructure including a bike lane extension and new bicycle parking
- Accessibility improvements including new disabled parking bays
- Wider footpaths with feature paving and new kerb and channel
- Pedestrian crossing upgrade at the Upfield Rail Line intersection, and
- Reduction of heat island effect by means of new street trees and rain gardens.
Budget and timelines
- Budget, financial year 2016/17: $750,000
- Budget, financial year 2017/18: $900,000
Major stages of the project
- Consultation - complete
- Design - complete
- Tendering - complete
- Construction - commenced January 2017
Streetscape upgrade works commenced on 16 January 2017, and were scheduled to finish by December 2017. However Council is now fast-tracking the works in order to shorten the period of disruption, with expected completion by September 2017.
3D views and video
View interactive 3D views of the proposed streetscape.
If you have any queries regarding the project, contact Council’s Senior Urban Designer, Hiren Bhatt on 9240 1234 or email Hiren Bhatt.