Dawson Street streetscape improvement
Council is currently undertaking streetscape upgrade works on Dawson Street, Brunswick, between Sydney Road and the Upfield Rail Line.
This section of Dawson Street has been identified as a pedestrian priority street in the Brunswick Structure Plan 2010, and the design includes:
- Improved pedestrian connections to significant buildings with Sydney Road
- Improvements to entrances of major public buildings such as Brunswick Library and Brunswick Baths
- Improved cycling infrastructure including a bike lane extension and new bicycle parking
- Accessibility improvements including new disabled parking bays
- Wider footpaths with feature paving and new kerb and channel
- Pedestrian crossing upgrade at the Upfield Rail Line intersection, and
- Reduction of heat island effect by means of new street trees and rain gardens.
Budget and timelines
- Budget Stage 1: $750,000 (financial year 2016/17 - Upfield Rail Line to Saxon Street)
- Budget Stage 2: $900,000 (financial year 2017/18 - Saxon Street to Sydney Road)
Major stages of the project
- Consultation - complete
- Design - complete
- Tendering - complete
- Construction - commencing January 2017
Stage 1 streetscape upgrade works (between Upfield Rail Line and Saxon Street)
Stage 1 works are anticipated to commence on 16 January 2017, and to finish by 30 June 2017.
Stage 2 streetscape upgrade works (between Saxon Street and Sydney Road)
Stage 2 works are anticipated to commence in July 2017, and to finish by December 2017.
Residents and businesses within 400 metres of this section of Dawson Street will receive a letter notification of the proposed works, as well as a survey form, which can be returned to Council by 14 January 2017.
3D views and video
View interactive 3D views of the proposed streetscape.
If you have any queries regarding the project, contact Council’s Senior Urban Designer, Hiren Bhatt on 9240 1234 or email Hiren Bhatt.