The Grove, Coburg – Road reconstruction works
In 2016/17 Council will be reconstructing The Grove, Coburg between Sydney Road and Barrow Street.
Consultation with residents was undertaken in April 2016.
A planning permit is required to undertake the works as The Grove is subject to a Heritage Overlay. This process is currently being undertaken.
The project is in the tender phase, with works set to commence in February 2017 subject to planning approval.
The works will comprise:
- Construction of a new underground drainage system and pits.
- Reconstructing the existing bluestone kerb and channel. The levels will be altered to flatten the road and improve vehicle access into properties.
- Reconstruction of the road pavement and laying a new asphalt road surface.
- Reconstruction of vehicle crossings between the new kerb and footpath edge.
- Installation of rain gardens (landscaped garden beds that filter stormwater runoff from the roadway) to improve stormwater quality.
- Reinstatement of nature strips.
- Total Length: 540 m
Budget and timelines
- Budget: $1,776,000
- Construction start date: February 2017
- Construction end date: June 2017