Former Glenroy Primary School site
Moreland City Council formally acquired the former Glenroy Primary School site in 2014. Since then we have been working with Community and potential partners to determine the best use of this key asset. While we are undertaking this important work, the Open Space area of the site has been made available for public use and the old school buildings have been leased to various community service providers and arts organistaions.
Council has identified this site as the potential future location for an integrated Community Hub and district park. The Hub will offer a mix of services and opportunities for community gatherings, such as:
- open space areas for active and passive recreation, picnics, barbecues and events,
- a new play ground,
- a community childcare centre,
- a new library, with multipurpose spaces for meetings and activities, and lifelong learning courses,
- health and wellbeing services, including Maternal and Child Health, and
- a cafe.
Initially we had proposed to create the hub as three separate buildings, constructed in stages over 5 years. Following feedback from consultation we now intend to create the Hub all under one roof as a single building, which will allow for better integration of services and site management, better design outcomes and cost efficiencies.
The following project timeline is proposed, subject to funding:
- Community engagement and project planning - complete
- Concept design - 2016/17
- Design development - 2017/18
- Statutory approvals, documentation and tendering - 2018/19
- Construction - 2019/2020
- Project completion - 2021
Major stages of the project
In 2015, Council undertook consultation with the local community and with key stakeholders, such as community organisations and service providers. These sessions have helped to shape our vision for the site and our understanding of the needs and wants of the local community. This will inform the design of the hub.
Community and stakeholders will be consulted again once the concept design phase is complete.
Concept Design: 2016
We are currently preparing for the concept design phase, which will begin next year.
Contact the Project Officer for the former Glenroy Primary School site on 9240 1111.