Fleming Park open space refurbishment, Brunswick East
Fleming Park has been selected for upgrade this year with $200,000 funding allocated from the Council Capital Works program.
This funding is available from the 2016/17 capital works budget and follows spending of $100,000 in the previous financial year, which included installation of the new park lighting system. This further funding will be used for implementing the Draft Open Space Refurbishment Plan (PDF 784Kb), which supports the Fleming Park Master Plan (PDF 1Mb) endorsed by Council.
Combined with these works we are also able to proceed with providing a new toilet building for Fleming Park. This involves demolition of the old canteen and toilet building in the south-east portion of the reserve and installing in its place the new toilet building.
The Fleming Park Draft Open Space Refurbishment Plan (PDF 784Kb)shows the various proposed changes and improvements and their location in the reserve, with indicative images featured in the Open Space Refurbishment Project 2016-17 (PDF 570Kb). These proposed changes and improvements include:
- Demolition of existing toilet and old canteen building and installation of new toilet building with one unisex ambulant and one unisex accessible toilet cubicle
- Upgrade of existing playground with new combination play unit and new swings including a basket swing
- Creation of a new ‘nature play’ area utilising natural logs and boulders, adjoining the upgraded playspace
- Installation of playground fencing to provide separation from the adjacent shared use/bike path in conjunction with new access paths leading to the playspace
- Provision of new furniture including rest seats, new picnic settings with table and benches to replace existing picnic furniture and wheelchair accessible drinking fountain with dog dish
- Tree planting for provision of shade in and around the new playspace and avenue planting at the Cross Street entry on the western side of the reserve.
Most of the key elements described above are illustrated in the images board for Open Space Refurbishment Project 2016-17 (PDF 570Kb). All proposed improvements are subject to budget funding and the outcome of consultation.
Local residents are being notified by postal delivery of the project information on this web page.
All in the community are invited to attend information and feedback sessions conducted in Fleming Park at these times:
- 5.30 – 6.30 pm Wednesday 21 December 2016
- 4.30 – 5.30 pm Thursday 22 December 2016
Concept plans will be presented at these times in the BBQ/picnic area near the old canteen building in the south-east portion of the reserve.
- Community information letters mailed on 16 December 2016
- Community information and feedback sessions in the park on 21 and 22 December 2016
- Submit feedback to Council by 12 January 2017
- Construction planned to commence early in 2017
Both projects are due for completion by June 2017
If you would like to receive more information on this project or provide feedback on proposals, email Open Space or phone 8311 4391 to speak with Andrew Blight, Landscape Architect, Open Space Design and Development Unit.
There are documents on this page in PDF-only format. If you have trouble opening or viewing a PDF document, contact Council and we will arrange to provide the information in a format that suits your needs. See Council's accessibility page for further details.