Gaffney Street - Cumberland Road, Pascoe Vale
The aim of the project is to improve the pedestrian amenity, safety, and overall presentation of the Gaffney Street - Cumberland Road shopping strip.
Project budget and timelines
- Budget: $450,000 (construction works) and $35,000 (design and documentation).
- Construction: Works commence January 2016.
Major stages of the project
Consultation - complete
Consultation with the community and businesses was held with the community on 22 November 2013 at the shopping strip. This involved hearing from the community about what they value about the shopping strip and what they would like to see changed.
A number of local residents filled out a hard copy and online survey about the project. The survey results have been incorporated into a draft concept plan for the shopping strip.
Design - complete
A draft concept plan was developed and consulted with the community. Feedback for the draft concept plan closed on Monday 15 June 2014. Refer to the Draft Concept Design.
Key elements of the concept plan:
- Planting of trees on Cumberland Road and Gaffney Street which provide shade and amenity.
- Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) pits to irrigate the trees using stormwater. This will reduce stormwater run-off to the creek and improve water quality.
- Widening of the footpath on the east side of Cumberland Road in front of shops in order to plant the trees. The footpath widening will not impact the use of the road as north-south arterial.
- Installation of new seats, bins and bike hoops to improve the pedestrian amenity.
- Measures to improve universal access such as Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) compliant pram ramps and designated disabled car parking bays.
- Improvement of the laneways and alleyways (with due permission from neighbouring businesses and land owners) through a public art project.
Overall, the aim is to improve the amenity of the shopping strip and invite more people to walk and shop locally.
Tendering - complete
Public tender for the construction work was advertised on Saturday 22 August 2015 and closed on Monday 14 September 2015 at 3 pm.
Construction - complete
Construction of improvements to Gaffney Cumberland shopping strip commenced on 11 January 2016 and completed at the end of April 2016.
The construction is in accordance with the concept design that was presented to the community in 2014. Following consultation, Council incorporated feedback from the community and relevant authorities to finalise the plan. The plan incorporates a number of streetscape improvements including pedestrian footpath widening, disabled car parking and planting of new trees and planter beds. The design includes street furniture such as seats, bins and bicycle hoops.
During the construction Council will ensure there is minimal disruption to businesses and residents. Access to all shops will be maintained however part road closures and restricted parking will be in place as required for construction.
If you have an enquiry or would like further information about this project, please contact Council.