Albion Street, the Upfield Railway Line and Hope Street speed limit change
As part of the Moreland Integrated Transport Strategy, Council has recently reduced the speed limits in the area bordered by Sydney Road, Albion Street, the Upfield Railway Line and Hope Street, Brunswick from 50km/h to 40 km/h.
This change has been implemented previously in other areas within Moreland, including areas bordered by:
- Bell Street, Upfield Train Line, O’Hea Street and Sussex Street
- Sydney Road, Glenlyon Road, Nicholson Street and Albion Street
- Moonee Ponds Creek, Brunswick Road, Grantham Street and Dawson Street
- Blyth Street, Nicholson Street, Miller Street and the Merri Creek
The change is authorised by VicRoads, and is supported by Council as stated in Moreland Integrated Transport Strategy 2010-2019.
It is anticipated that benefits to the community of the lowered speed limit will include:
- Improved amenity for pedestrians and cyclists
- Reduction in through traffic volumes
- Significant reduction in road crash trauma
- Minimal impact on travel times
The new 40km/h area is shown below.