Street trading and special events
When you require a Street Trading and Special Event permit
If you wish to promote your business or hold any other special event on public land, then a permit must be obtained through Moreland Council.
The permit enables groups and business owners to:
- Undertake spruiking and promotion of their business to customers.
- Sell goods and services from public places as one-off promotions.
- Conduct special events.
- Conduct activities in a public space where furniture or other items may be placed on public land.
- Place furniture associated with businesses such as tables and chairs on footways.
You must apply for a Street Trading and Special Event permit before conducting any of these activities in public places.
For information on filming see filming in Moreland.
Why you require this permit
Council issues Street Trading and Special Event permits to:
- Manage and facilitate responsible trading and entertainment, and
- Support local business owners to engage with their customers through extended promotion of their business in public places as well as through special events.
Penalties apply if you engage in street trading and special event activities without a valid permit.
This permit is required by the Moreland City Council General Local Law 2018 (DOC 622Kb).
Application and permit fees apply.
How to apply for an on-street activity permit
Complete the Street Trading and Special Events Permit Application (DOC 64Kb) form.
Once you have completed the form you may:
- email it to Council
- lodge it at a Council Customer Service Centre; or alternatively, and
- mail the application form to Moreland City Council, Locked Bag 10, Moreland 3058.
What happens after you apply
Once your application is received, Council will review the application.