How to pay your rates
Council sends rates notices and instalment reminders to ratepayers by post. You can ask to have your rates notice sent electronically.
For payments dates, see rate payment due dates.
Council's online payments
- You can pay your rates through Council's website by Visa or MasterCard. Payment can be made in full or in part.
- You need the 'Assessment number' on your rates notice and your Visa or MasterCard.
You can also register as a user for My Accounts. Once you have received your password and login, you can pay your rates and view any other fees owing.
BPAY on the internet
If you have internet banking set up, you can pay Council rates as a BPAY bill. Payments can be made from your savings, cheque or credit card account.
- Login to your internet banking and select the button to pay bills online.
- Enter the Moreland City Council Biller Code 35105, the Reference Number found beside the BPAY symbol on the front of your rates notice, and the payment amount.
Post Billpay website
- Visit the Post Billpay website to pay by Visa or MasterCard.
- Enter the Post Billpay Code 3203, your Reference Number found beside the Post Billpay symbol on the front of your rates notice, and the payment amount.
You can nominate a savings or cheque account to have your rates and charges automatically deducted.
There are two direct debit options:
- Your four quarterly rates instalment payments are deducted from your nominated bank account on their due dates, or
- Spread your rates payments over 10 monthly deductions. Monthly payments are deducted from your nominated bank account on the 15th of each month. The 10 month period starts on 15 September and ends on 15 June each year.
To apply for direct debit, complete the Direct Debit Request form (PDF 247Kb) and return the form to Council by 31 August:
- Post to Moreland City Council, Locked Bag 10, Moreland Vic 3058
- Fax to (03) 9240 1212, or
- Email Council Rates a scanned copy of the form.
Once a direct debit arrangement is setup, it continues every year unless Council receives written notification from you to cancel the direct debit.
If there are arrears owing and you want to use direct debit, please contact the Revenue Services Unit on 9240 1111 for further information.
You can also use Centrepay to arrange regular deductions from your Centrelink payment. Visit Centrepay for more information.
Pay by phone
Council's phone payments
Pay rates with a Visa or MasterCard over the phone 24 hours using Council's secure automated system.
- Phone 9240 1111 and press 1 to make a payment. Then press 2 to pay 'rates' and follow the voice prompts.
- You need the 'Assessment number' on your rates notice and your Visa or MasterCard details.
Pay by phone with BPay
If you have phone banking set up, you can pay Council rates as a BPAY bill. Payments can be made from your savings, cheque or credit card account.
- Call your bank's phone banking number.
- Enter the Moreland Council Biller Code 35105, your Customer Reference Number found beside the BPay symbol on the front of your rates notice, and the amount of your payment.
Pay by phone with Post Billpay
You can pay your Council rates by phone with Post Billpay using your Visa or MasterCard.
- Phone 13 18 16
- Quote the Post Billpay Code 3203, the Reference Number found beside the Post Billpay symbol on the front of your rates notice, and the amount of your payment.
Pay by post
Separate the payment slip at the bottom of your rates notice and mail it with your cheque or money order to Moreland City Council, Locked Bag 10, Moreland 3058, before the due date.
Make the cheque or money order payable to ‘Moreland City Council’ and cross it 'Not negotiable'. Do not include cash in the mail.
Council does not provide a receipt for payments received by mail. Keep the top section of the notice for your records.
Pay in person
Council Citizens Service Centre
Bring your rates notice to a Council Citizens Service Centre. You can pay by Visa or MasterCard, EFTPOS, cheque, money order, or cash. The minimum payment for all card transactions is $10 and there is no cash out facility.
Bring your rates notice to a post office. You can pay by Visa or MasterCard, EFTPOS, cheque, money order or cash.
There are documents on this page in PDF-only format. If you have trouble opening or viewing a PDF document, contact Council and we will arrange to provide the information in a format that suits your needs. See Council's accessibility page for further details.