Coburg Activity Centre
Where is Coburg?
Coburg is a suburb of Melbourne, 8 km north of Melbourne's central business district. At the 2016 Census, Coburg had a population of 26,185.
"Central Coburg develops as the prime shopping, living, employment and activity precinct in Moreland. The Activity Centre is transformed into an attractive system of streets and spaces. Central Coburg becomes a sought-after living environment, offering a range of housing choices, including high-density housing. Most people arrive at the Activity Centre on foot, by bike or by public transport. The provision of a range of services enables people to conduct a number of different activities based on the one trip. Central Coburg is linked with networks of green spaces."
Coburg Place Action Plan
The Coburg Place Action Plan (PDF 2Mb) outlines Council’s budgeted work program for the Coburg Activity Centre over the next 5 years.
The works described in this plan are incremental steps towards the achievement of Council’s vision for Central Coburg established by The Coburg Initiative, Coburg Place Framework 2010 and Coburg 2020 Structure Plan and the Coburg Activity Centre Structure Plan Reference Document 2017.
The Coburg Place Action Plan describes the what, who, how and budget to deliver this change.
The Coburg Place Action Plan seeks to:
- Communicate Council’s 5-year budgeted work program to be delivered in the Coburg Activity Centre.
- Better integrate and coordinate projects and services delivered in the Centre to achieve set objectives and outcomes.
- Identify funding gaps and facilitate cross-organisational planning for future projects.
- Facilitate stakeholder engagement and the development of partnerships.
- Provide the context for Council’s work program in the Centre and identify the issues and dependencies which should be considered when developing individual project briefs and service plans.
The Plan also identifies a number of potential unbudgeted projects (section 6.0) which have been identified in the Coburg Structure Plan and other Council strategies and which should be considered for implementation over coming years. These unbudgeted projects will be evaluated as part of each annual review of the Action Plan and will inform future budget reviews.
People who live, work and spend time in Coburg have a central role in shaping the next chapter in the story of Coburg. The role of Council is to set the strategic direction, then work in partnership with local people to achieve positive change on the ground.
Key projects within the Coburg Place Action Plan
The Coburg Place Action Plan (PDF 2Mb) key projects have been themed into categories being Community, Public spaces, Transport and Economy:
- Attract a Hospital or Major Healthcare Facility
- City Oval Granstand Redevelopment
- Develop Coburg Town Hall Complex and Civic Precinct
- Coburg Night Market
- Coburg Carnivale
- MoreArt Public Art Program
- Coburg Square
- Sydney Road Streetscape Upgrade
- Louisa Street Streetscape Upgrade
- City Oval and Bridges Reserve Precinct Renewal
- Victoria Mall Public Lighting Upgrade
- Colours of Coburg - Renewal Project
- Level Crossing Removals at Bell Street and Moreland Road
- Sydney Road Tram 'Super Stop' at Victoria Mall and Champ Street Intersection
- Louisa Street Service Lane Reinstatement and Safety Upgrade
- Urquhart Street Pedestrian Crossing
- Development Cluster 1 - Coburg Square
- Development Cluster 2 - Major Healthcare Facility
- Coburg Special Charge Scheme
- Coburg Traders Association Business Plan
To speak to the Coburg Place Manager from Council please phone 9240 1111.